Search by Title
Filter by Timeframe
Hide Key facts, Own, Want and Buy options.
Marvel History and Anniversaries
A categorical listing of Marvel History and Anniversaries curated by Key Collector Comics.
- 1st appearance of the Human Torch (Jim Hammond).
- 1st appearance and origin of the Sub-Mariner (reprinted from Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1).
- 1st appearance of Ka-Zar, Angel and Jungle Terror, the Masked Raider and Dorma (Namor's first wife).
- 1st comic book published by Timely, later becomes Marvel.
- Retitled Marvel Mystery Comics after this issue.
- The granddaddy of all Marvel comics and the rarest mega key in collecting with just 30 universal graded copies reported on the CGC census (compared to 41 for Action Comics #1 and 32 for Detective Comics #27).
- Any time this book comes to market it's an event. The last sale was in November of 2019 when the Windy City pedigree CGC 9.4 copy broke records when it ended at a staggering 1.26 million.
- August 2020 was no exception as the, perhaps more famous, Nic Cage CGC 6.0 copy ended at $280,500 (last sold in 2011 for $70k).
- Note that both these copies are November copies in which the "October 1939" cover date is blacked out and "November 1939" is printed next to it.
- October copies are harder to find (though with only 30 copies ever graded that may be splitting hairs) and considered the true first print.
- October copies had a print run of approx. 80,000 copies and were understood to be a limited test printing that was distributed on the East Coast. This run sold out within 1 week of its August 31st release.
- The book was sent back to the presses a second time with a print run of 800,000 now (to match sales at that time of Superman). Changing the cover date allowed the book to have a longer on sale period at newsstands.
- First written work in the comic book industry by Stan Lee
- Two-page text story with a couple of illustrations by Kirby
- 3rd appearance of Captain America
- 3rd appearance of Bucky Barnes
- 2nd appearance of the Red Skull, George Maxon
- 1st team appearance and origin of the Fantastic Four: Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch, The Thing
- 1st appearance of Mole Man
- 1st appearance of Tricephalous
- Landmark issue that launched the Marvel Age of comics
- December 2020 - Kevin Feige confirms the Fantastic Four film is in the works with Jon Watts (Cop Car, Spider-Man Homecoming) directing
- THIS WEEK’S RECORD BREAKERS [Previous High In Brackets]
- 9.0 sold for $264,000 [$165,000 in 2016] +60%
- 8.5 sold for $132,000 [$126,000 in 2019] +4%
- 4.0 sold for $18,200 [$16,200 in Feb] +12%
- Controversial issue: Carol Danvers is "used" and becomes pregnant by a man who turns out to be the same person to whom she gives birth
- 1st appearance of Marcus Immortus, the son of Immortus, conceived by Carol Danvers
- 1st limited series published by Marvel Comics
- 1st appearance of Blitkrieger
- 1st full appearance of the Collective Man
- 1st appearance of Shamrock
- 1st appearance of Defensor
- 5-page preview of Spider-Man 2099, considered by some to be the first appearance but it is an excerpt from Spider-Man 2099 #1
- 30th Anniversary of Spider-Man (1962-1992)
- Hologram cover
- [January 2021 - an image of Spider-Man 2099 was posted on the official Spider-Verse Twitter page]
- Variant cover art by Humberto Ramos
- D23 Expo exclusive, given away at the Marvel 80th Anniversary panel August 24, 2019
- 1st official cover appearance of Mickey Mouse on a Marvel comic