Search by Title
Filter by Timeframe
Hide Key facts, Own, Want and Buy options.
🎞 Speculation that Namor will apppear in the MCU began with Endgame when Okoye mentioned underwater earthquakes. Recently The Hollywood Reporter wrote that Tenoch Huerta is in talks talks to play the villain but the role is unconfirmed.
- 1st appearance and origin of Namor the Sub-Mariner
- 1st appearance of American Ace
- *scarce - only nine copies are known to exist
- *the comic was intended to be a giveaway at movie theaters but it never went into full production
- 1st appearance of the Human Torch (Jim Hammond).
- 1st appearance and origin of the Sub-Mariner (reprinted from Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1).
- 1st appearance of Ka-Zar, Angel and Jungle Terror, the Masked Raider and Dorma (Namor's first wife).
- 1st comic book published by Timely, later becomes Marvel.
- Retitled Marvel Mystery Comics after this issue.
- The granddaddy of all Marvel comics and the rarest mega key in collecting with just 30 universal graded copies reported on the CGC census (compared to 41 for Action Comics #1 and 32 for Detective Comics #27).
- Any time this book comes to market it's an event. The last sale was in November of 2019 when the Windy City pedigree CGC 9.4 copy broke records when it ended at a staggering 1.26 million.
- August 2020 was no exception as the, perhaps more famous, Nic Cage CGC 6.0 copy ended at $280,500 (last sold in 2011 for $70k).
- Note that both these copies are November copies in which the "October 1939" cover date is blacked out and "November 1939" is printed next to it.
- October copies are harder to find (though with only 30 copies ever graded that may be splitting hairs) and considered the true first print.
- October copies had a print run of approx. 80,000 copies and were understood to be a limited test printing that was distributed on the East Coast. This run sold out within 1 week of its August 31st release.
- The book was sent back to the presses a second time with a print run of 800,000 now (to match sales at that time of Superman). Changing the cover date allowed the book to have a longer on sale period at newsstands.
- 2nd appearance of Namor the Sub-Mariner
- 2nd appearance and origin of the Human Torch
- 2nd appearance of American Ace
- Marvel Mystery Comics previously titled Marvel Comics
- 1st cover appearance of the Sub-Mariner
- 1st appearance of the Nazi flag on a Timely cover
- *see Top Notch Comics #2 for first Nazi symbol on a comic cover
- 1st appearance of Electro, a robot
- 3rd appearance of The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants: Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Mastermind, Toad
- Namor is confirmed to be a mutant in this issue making him the first mutant to appear in Marvel Comics
- Namor declares war on Wakanda and floods its capital city
- *speculation that Namor will be the villain in Black Panther 2 and Endgame hinting at underwater earthquakes (April 2019)