Search by Title
Filter by Timeframe
Hide Key facts, Own, Want and Buy options.
- 1st appearance of Doctor Occult, one of the earliest superheroes in history
- First artwork by Joe Shuster
- First written work in comics by Jerry Siegel
- 1st appearance of a vampire in comic books
- 1st full appearance and origin of The Spectre
- 1st appearance of The Presence, creator of The Spectre and the most powerful entity in the DC Multiverse
- 1st appearance of Santa Claus in DC Comics
- Promotional giveaway distributed by multiple retailers including: Bailey's, Macy's, Royal Crown, Toyland and Boston Store
- 1st appearance of the Star-Spangled Kid
- 1st appearance of Stripsey, Pat Dugan who later becomes S.T.R.I.P.E.
- *three-page original story advertising Star-Spangled Comics #1
- 3rd appearance and 1st cover appearance of Green Arrow & Speedy
- 1st team appearance of the Seven Soldiers of Victory: Green Arrow, Crimson Avenger, Shining Knight, Speedy, Star-Spangled Kid, Stripesy, Vigilante
- 1st appearance of the Dummy
- Referenced in Seduction of the Innocent, led to establishing the Comics Code Authority
- Reason: inappropriate wording characterizing the hero as a "superlover"
- 1st appearance of Sun Boy
- 1st appearance of Phantom Girl
- 1st appearance of Triplicate Girl
- 1st appearance of Bouncing Boy
- 1st appearance of Shrinking Violet
- 1st appearance of Braniac 5
- Supergirl joins the Legion of Super-Heroes
- 1st team appearance of The Legion of Super-Pets: Beppo the Super-Monkey, Comet the Super-Horse, Krypto the Super-Dog and Streaky the Super-Cat
- 2nd appearance of General Zod
- 1st appearance of Bizarro Lex Luthor
- Unofficial appearance of Captain Marvel in DC Comics in the story 'Monkey's Paw'
- *the artist on this issue Kurt Schaffenberger was previously the artist on Captain Marvel (later Shazam) but lost his job after DC (National at the time) successfully sued Fawcett for copyright infringement which eventually led to the publisher to go bankrupt