Search by Title
Filter by Timeframe
Hide Key facts, Own, Want and Buy options.
100 Black Superheroes
🔔 Benefit From ALL-ACCESS To Key Collector Comics For Just $1.99 Per Month 🎁 Please Contribute To The Continued Development of Key Collector By Using The Ebay Links When Making ANY Purchase
- 1st appearance of the Black Panther
- T'Challa king of Wakanda
- Black Panther is the world's first mainstream black superhero introduced in comic books
- 📈 +355% copies sold current two weeks versus the previous two weeks
- 1st appearance of Butterfly, the first super-powered black female in comic books
- 1st appearance of Brice Reese, a vigilante with a customized motorcycle that included a flamethrower
- *a precursor to Ghost Rider, also created by Gary Friedrich
- 1st appearance of Green Lantern, John Stewart
- [April 2020 - Geoff Johns is confirmed to produce the Green Lantern Corps HBO Max TV series - two years ago while Johns was writing the movie reboot, he confirmed on his Mad Ghost website that the two Lanterns would be Hal Jordan and John Stewart which could still be the case]
- 2nd appearance of Green Lantern, Guy Gardner
- 1st appearance and origin of Luke Cage, the first black superhero to headline a series in mainstream comics
- 1st appearance of Diamondback, Comanche and Shades
- 1st appearance of Brother Voodoo
- [January 2019 - the rumor that Jericho Drum AKA Brother Voodoo is to debut in the sequel to Doctor Strange is given even more weight by the brief role that his brother, Daniel Drumm played in the first Doctor Strange film]
- 1st appearance of the new X-Men.
- 1st appearance of Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Thunderbird. 3rd appearance of Wolverine (some resources label this the 2nd full appearance).
- 1st appearance of Illyana Rasputin (as a child) and Krakoa, the Living Island.
- 1st use of 'snikt' sound effect.
- Turtle power is too much for the mighty mutants of Marvel this week as GSX 1 slips to number 2 but the book remains Trinidad Moruga Scorpion hot (that's the second hottest pepper in the world at 2 million Scoville Heat Units for all you Capsicum obsessed botanists).
- Last week, during the Heritage Platinum Session Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction a CGC 9.8 White Page copy closed out at a whopping $19,200 (up from the previous all-time high of $16,257).
- This week we saw an off-white page copy sell on eBay for $18,075. Putting the White Page bump at approx. just 5% (well below the premium we've seen collectors willing to pay) and proving that the big jump was not a one off.
- Additionally, we saw several new records including an CGC 8.5 copy that sold for a new record in grade of $3,400 (up from $3,333).
- A CGC 4.0 copy that sold for a new record in grade of $1,490 (up from $1,170).
- A CGC 2.0 copy that sold for a new record in grade of $825 (up from $760).
- Meanwhile, almost every other grade is matching all-time highs and the volume of copies being sold continues to skyrocket.
- This book has seen incredible gains this year but this may just be the build up. The slightest whiff of MCU news will likely set this powder-keg ablaze.
- And if that happens GSX won't be alone. Hulk #181 is already following close behind (See below) and new highs for X-Men #1 (1st X-Men) are likely to be just around the corner.
- Don't fret that these books are already in the stratosphere. There are still undervalued X-Men keys to be had. Grab the criminally underpriced X-Men #54 (1st Havok), X-Men 129 (1st Kitty Pryde), X-Men 244 (1st Jubilee) & X-Men 266 (1st-ish Gambit) while you can. Especially Newsstand editions where available.
- Marvel Studios will likely want to deviate from the territory Fox mined with the X-Men and the smart money is on them focusing on the underused in the films but better known by the public characters that were popularized in the animated shows. It's no surprise that many of those first appear in Giant Size X-Men.
- Quick recap: When the Disney acquisition of Fox was announced in 2018 it sent X-Men keys (which had been to that point overlooked by collectors in favor of keys involving the MCU characters) rocketing to new heights.
- As the first wave of FOMO took hold and collectors scrambled to pick up copies, books from all periods of X-Men history made big jumps.
- Among the most sought after was Giant Size X-Men #1 followed by Hulk #181 (1st Wolverine but more on that shortly) and X-Men #1 (1st X-Men). GSX 1 in 9.8 went from an average price of $6,500 in 2017 to $10k in 2018. In 2019, as collectors found new books du jour to chase, GSX started slipping lower down want lists and gains slowed. Volume remained high and 9.6 & 9.8 copies (especially those with much sought after White Pages) were still event books when they became available with 9.8's averaging just under $12k for the year.
- The beginning of 2020 saw GSX slip off of want lists, gains halted and the book even retreated slightly (approx. 20%) in some grades but maintained prices well above pre-2018 levels overall.
- Then a few weeks ago, in the middle of Miles fever and likely driven by comparisons to the incredible prices his 1st appearance began fetching, GSX started creeping back onto collectors' want lists again.
- 1st appearance of Spider-Woman, Valerie the Librarian from The Electric Company TV show
- * the first black woman to identify as Spider-Woman (outside of continuity)
- 1st team appearance of the new Teen Titans: Robin, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Cyborg, Raven, Beast Boy and Starfire
- 1st appearance of Raven
- 1st appearance of Cyborg
- 1st appearance of Starfire
- [FanDome - Zack Snyder reveals Cyborg is at the heart of the film and that it is his favorite character]
- 1st appearance and origin of Amazing Man, Will Everett
- [July 2020 - DC looks to be reviving this character in Tom Taylor's new project that is speculated to be a continuation of 'Injustice']
- 1st published artwork in the comic book industry by Erik Larsen
- 1st appearance of Megaton, a black man born with two hearts who was able to survive an experimental super soldier procedure
- 1st appearance of Vanguard
- 1st appearance of Berzerker
- 1st appearance of Amanda Waller, director of the Suicide Squad
- [Voila Davis confirmed for Suicide Squad 2]
- 1st appearance of Captain Marvel after Crisis on Infinite Earths integrated the Fawcett characters into the DC Universe
- 1st appearance of Brimstone
- 1st appearance of Lemar Hoskins as Battlestar
- [November 2019 - strongly rumored to be in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Disney+ series]
- 1st appearance of Rock Python
- 1st cameo appearance of Coachwhip
- 1st cameo appearance of Boomslang
- 1st appearance of Left-Winger and Right-Winger
- Cover homage of Daredevil #43
- 1st cameo team appearance of The New Warriors: Marvel Boy (later becomes Justice), Nova, Night Thrasher, Namorita, Speedball and Firestar
- 1st cameo appearance of Night Thrasher
- *the character Marvel Boy shares no relation to other characters who also used the name Marvel Boy but he does share his real name, Vance Astrovik with the character known as Major Victory from Guardians of the Galaxy
- *Major Victory and Marvel Boy are the same person from two separate dimensions and exist in stories as mostly unrelated individuals