Search by Title
Filter by Timeframe
Hide Key facts, Own, Want and Buy options.
Marvel Top 50 Heroes
A categorical listing of Marvel Top 50 Heroes curated by Key Collector Comics.
- 1st appearance and origin of Namor the Sub-Mariner
- 1st appearance of American Ace
- *scarce - only nine copies are known to exist
- *the comic was intended to be a giveaway at movie theaters but it never went into full production
- 1st appearance of the Human Torch (Jim Hammond).
- 1st appearance and origin of the Sub-Mariner (reprinted from Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1).
- 1st appearance of Ka-Zar, Angel and Jungle Terror, the Masked Raider and Dorma (Namor's first wife).
- 1st comic book published by Timely, later becomes Marvel.
- Retitled Marvel Mystery Comics after this issue.
- The granddaddy of all Marvel comics and the rarest mega key in collecting with just 30 universal graded copies reported on the CGC census (compared to 41 for Action Comics #1 and 32 for Detective Comics #27).
- Any time this book comes to market it's an event. The last sale was in November of 2019 when the Windy City pedigree CGC 9.4 copy broke records when it ended at a staggering 1.26 million.
- August 2020 was no exception as the, perhaps more famous, Nic Cage CGC 6.0 copy ended at $280,500 (last sold in 2011 for $70k).
- Note that both these copies are November copies in which the "October 1939" cover date is blacked out and "November 1939" is printed next to it.
- October copies are harder to find (though with only 30 copies ever graded that may be splitting hairs) and considered the true first print.
- October copies had a print run of approx. 80,000 copies and were understood to be a limited test printing that was distributed on the East Coast. This run sold out within 1 week of its August 31st release.
- The book was sent back to the presses a second time with a print run of 800,000 now (to match sales at that time of Superman). Changing the cover date allowed the book to have a longer on sale period at newsstands.
- 1st appearance & origin of Captain America
- 1st appearance of James Buchanan Barnes aka Bucky, later becomes the Winter Soldier
- 1st appearance of the Red Skull,George Maxon, an agent of the true Red Skull
- 1st appearance of Hurricane, later becomes Makkari
- 1st appearance of Tuk the Cave Boy, first offspring of the Inhumans
- The CGC census has tracked approx. 90 copies ever given a universal grade with another 80 given the less desirable restored grade
- While incredibly small these numbers are still larger than than those for the big 3 of collecting: Action Comics #1 (41 universal grade copies exist), Detective Comics #27 (32 universal grade copies exist) and Marvel Comics #1 (just 30 universal grade copies exist
- 1st team appearance and origin of the Fantastic Four: Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch, The Thing
- 1st appearance of Mole Man
- 1st appearance of Tricephalous
- Landmark issue that launched the Marvel Age of comics
- December 2020 - Kevin Feige confirms the Fantastic Four film is in the works with Jon Watts (Cop Car, Spider-Man Homecoming) directing
- 1st appearance and origin of the Hulk
- 1st appearance of Betty Ross
- 1st appearance of Rick Jones
- 1st appearance of General "Thunderbolt" Ross
- [February 2020 - Rick Jones rumored to join the MCU]
- 1st appearance of Doctor Strange
- 1st appearance of the Ancient One, former Sorcerer Supreme
- 1st appearance of Wong, Doctor Strange's assistant
- 1st appearance of Nightmare, in shadows
- [December 2020 -Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness, debuts March 25, 2022 and will introduce America Chavez. The film ties to Wanda/Vision & the next Spider-Man film]
- 🏅 #3 on the Hot 10
- 1st team appearance of the X-Men: Cyclops, Jean Grey aka Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel, Beast, Professor X and Magneto
- Homo Superior concept, coined by Magneto to describe humans born with special abilities introduced in this issue
- Many collectors who are interested in purchasing high-end keys know that the big Blue Chip books are going to become far more unattainable rather than head in the other direction
- X-Men #1 is one such key
- Take a look the trajectory of X-Men #1 for average sales of books graded 8.0:
- 2002-2005 sold for $4,500
- 2006-2008 sold for $6,500
- 2009-2017 sold for $12k
- 2018 - 2020 sold for $25k
- 2021 sold for $50k
- This week a Heritage Auction sale closed at $50,400 which is an astounding 68% increase over the all-time high of $30k in 2019
- Also this week, a 9.0 graded copy with white/off white pages sold for $78,000, +50% higher than the previous record of $52k
- CGC 2.5 sold for $7,200, +22% higher than 2020’s all-time high sale of $5,880
- And a 1.0 graded copy inched up $100 from December’s $3,100 sale
- 10 years ago a 1.0 had a high sale of $523
- 5 years ago a 1.0 hit $1,000 for the first time
- 2020 and 2021 both posted $3k+ sales
- But this book is still charging up and when it’s ready to take-off, it’s going to be a rocket
- 1st appearance and origin of Daredevil
- 1st appearance of Foggy Nelson and Karen Page
- [December 2020 - word is now circulating that Charlie Cox is rumored to appear as Daredevil in Spider-Man 3]
- 1st appearance of the Black Widow, Natasha Romanova
- Death of the 1st Crimson Dynamo
- 1st appearance and death of the 2nd Crimson Dynamo
- [Black Widow movie to premiere in theaters May 7, 2021]
- 1st team appearance of the Inhumans, a race created by the Kree: Triton, Karnak, Lockjaw, Gorgon, Medusa, Crystal and Black Bolt
- 1st cameo appearance of Black Bolt
- 1st appearance of Crystal, ability to manipulate the elements
- 1st appearance of Karnak, a skilled fighter and advisor to Black Bolt
- 1st appearance of Triton
- 1st full appearance of Galactus
- 2nd appearance and 1st cover appearance of the Silver Surfer
- 1st appearance of the Punisher, a cyborg servant of Galactus
- 1st appearance of the Black Panther, T'Challa king of Wakanda
- Driving interest in this book is undoubtedly the legacy of Chadwick Boseman, the tragedy of his death and the inspiring realization of a black pioneering character of historical significance in pop culture history brought to life
- None will fill the shoes of the King of Wakanda, but character names we’ve heard that could carry the film forward are Shuri, M’Baku and Kevin Cole
- THIS WEEK’S RECORD BREAKERS: CGC 8.5 sale: $4,800 [previous high: $3,800]
- CGC 7.5 sale: $2,800 [previous high: $2,250]
- 1st appearance of Conan the Barbarian
- 1st cameo appearance of King Kull
- [September 2020 - Conan the Barbarian is in-development with Pathfinder Media for Netflix that is being described as an "epic live-action series"]
- 1st appearance of Valkyrie, Enchantress in disguise
- 1st team appearance of the Lady Liberators: Valkyrie, Scarlet Witch, Wasp Black Widow, Medusa
- Debut of the Rutland Halloween Parade, a real parade held in Vermont annually that has been depicted in both Marvel and DC comics nearly 20 times with parade attendees wearing superhero costumes from both publishers in each book
- 1st appearance and origin of Luke Cage, the first black superhero to headline a series in mainstream comics
- 1st appearance of Diamondback, Comanche and Shades