Search by Title
Filter by Timeframe
Hide Key facts, Own, Want and Buy options.
Sounds & Slogans
🎁 Please utilize the eBay links provided at no additional cost to you. Thank you 🚨 See MORE Categories under the button on the MAIN SCREEN labeled CATEGORIES USE CODE TOM101 FOR ALL-ACCESS TO KEY COLLECTOR
- 1st appearance and origin of The Lizard
- First reference to Spider-Man's ability to sense danger with the thought 'My Spider Sense is starting to tingle'
- First use of Namor's battle phrase, 'Imperious Rex'
- *decades later, when Thor asks Namor the meaning of the phrase, Namor answers, 'It means I’m going to feed your sorry Asgardian hide to the biggest sharks I can find.'
- 1st appearance of Behemoth, a protector of Atlantis
- 1st appearance of the new X-Men.
- 1st appearance of Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Thunderbird. 3rd appearance of Wolverine (some resources label this the 2nd full appearance).
- 1st appearance of Illyana Rasputin (as a child) and Krakoa, the Living Island.
- 1st use of 'snikt' sound effect.
- The number two X-Men book of the week is the number 3 book in the world, making the top three this week all characters collectors are anticipating entering the MCU.
- Two weeks ago, during the Heritage Platinum Session Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction we saw a CGC 9.8 White Page copy end at a whopping $19,200 (up from the previous all-time high of $16,257).
- This week, the book proved that this new price point was here to stay as an off-white page copy sold on eBay for $18,075.
- Additionally, we saw a 7.0 hit a new high in grade at $2,500 (up from $2,400) and a 2.0 hit a new high in grade of $975 (up from $825 which was set just last week).
- Meanwhile, a 9.2 closed out at $4,500 which is the highest price that grade has reached this year.
- This book, along with Hulk 181, has seen incredible gains this year but this may just be the build up. The slightest whiff of X-Men in the MCU news will likely set this powder-keg ablaze.
- And if that happens GSX and Hulk 181 won't be alone. New highs for X-Men #1 (1st X-Men) are likely to be just around the corner.
- Quick recap: When the Disney acquisition of Fox was announced in 2018 it sent X-Men keys (which had been to that point overlooked by collectors in favor of keys involving the MCU characters) rocketing to new heights.
- As the first wave of FOMO took hold and collectors scrambled to pick up copies, books from all periods of X-Men history made big jumps.
- GSX 1 in 9.8 went from an average price of $6,500 in 2017 to $10k in 2018. In 2019, as collectors found new books du jour to chase, GSX started slipping lower down want lists and gains slowed. Volume remained high and 9.6 & 9.8 copies (especially those with much sought after White Pages) were still event books when they became available with 9.8's averaging just under $12k for the year.
- The beginning of 2020 saw GSX slip off of want lists, gains halted and the book even retreated slightly (approx. 20%) in some grades but maintained prices well above pre-2018 levels overall.
- Then a few weeks ago, in the middle of Miles fever and likely driven by comparisons to the incredible prices his 1st appearance began fetching, GSX started creeping back onto collectors' want lists again along with Hulk 181.
- Don't fret that these books are already in the stratosphere. There are still undervalued X-Men keys to be had. Grab the criminally underpriced X-Men #54 (1st Havok), X-Men 129 (1st Kitty Pryde), X-Men 244 (1st Jubilee) & X-Men 266 (1st-ish Gambit) while you can. Especially Newsstand editions where available.
- Marvel Studios will likely want to deviate from the territory Fox mined with the X-Men and the smart money is on them focusing on the underused in the films but better known by the public characters that were popularized in the animated shows. It's no surprise that many of those first appear in Giant Size X-Men.
- 1st appearance and origin of Sandman
- 1st appearance of Betty Brant, a secretary at the Daily Bugle
- Spider-Man refers to himself as 'The friendly neighborhood Spider-Man' for the first time
- 1st cameo appearance of Jessica Jones, a spectator of the Sandman versus Spider-Man fight, this is a retconned appearance as revealed in The Amazing Spider-Man #601
- Alan Scott, Green Lantern uses the phrase: in brightest day, in darkest night - no evil shall escape my sight - let those who worship evil's might - beware my power, Green Lantern's light
- Classic cover art by Bob Kane featuring the Joker
- Joker repeatedly uses the word 'boner' throughout this story, panels that often show up on social media posts
- 1st appearance of Pharaoh Rama-Tut, later revealed to be the time-traveler Kang the Conqueror
- Stan Lee first uses the phrase "Nuff Said" in the Special Announcements section
- 1st appearance of Dormammu, ruler of the Dark Dimension
- 1st appearance of Clea, future wife of Doctor Strange
- [March 2020 - Clea rumored to be in Doctor Strange 2]
- Doctor Strange uses the phrase 'By The Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth'
- Origin of the Silver Surfer
- Origin of the Watchers
- 1st appearance of Shalla-Bal
- Silver Surfer first says, "where soars the Silver Surfer...there must he soar alone!"
- Death of Thunderbird, John Proudstar
- 3rd appearance of Nighcrawler
- Earliest use of the word 'Bamf' to describe the sound of Nightcrawler teleportating via an alternate dimension