Search by Title
Filter by Timeframe
Hide Key facts, Own, Want and Buy options.
Marvel Top 50 Villains
🎤 Subscribe to the service that "pays for itself" For $1.99 UNLOCK 12 essential collector categories PLUS 🚨 KEY ISSUE ALERTS 🚨 💎 Please support Key Collector's continued development by utilizing eBay links at NO additional costs to you
- 1st full appearance of Knull, part of the Venom/Carnage mythology, he is the creator of the Symbiote alien race
- Knull's first cameo appearance is in Jason Aaron's 'Thor: God of Thunder #6'
- The spiral emblem associated with Knull is a reference to Chthulhu mythology
- Knull was the first being that existed in nothingness that preceded the creation of the current Marvel Universe
- 1st appearance and origin of Dr. Doom
- *rumors are circulating that Dr. Doom will be introduced in some capacity on a Disney+ show, possibly WandaVision
- 1st full appearance of Galactus
- 2nd appearance and 1st cover appearance of the Silver Surfer
- 1st appearance of the Punisher, a cyborg servant of Galactus
- 1st team appearance of the X-Men.
- 1st appearance of Cyclops, Jean Grey aka Marvel Girl (later becomes Phoenix), Iceman, Angel, Beast, Professor X and Magneto.
- The concept of Homo Superior, coined by Magneto to describe humans born with special abilities, is introduced in this issue.
- Climbing to number 5 this week and consolidating power from all X-men books is the OG of X-Men keys
- Giant Size X-Men #1 and Hulk #181 have reached insane heights that are many multiples of where they were just a few years ago.
- With the whole market slowly slightly this week (perhaps the stimulus checks finally ran out) collectors have moved back to the granddaddy of X-Men books.
- This week we saw a 4.0 copy change hands at $10,100 (up from a previous high of $7,395).
- And a 0.5 copy hit $2,750 (up from $2,300).
- Interest is building ferociously for X-Men keys in anticipation of their entry into the MCU.
- The run up of GSX 1 and Hulk 181 has made lower and mid grade copies of this book seem cheap in comparison.
- 1st appearance of Thanos, an Eternal from Titan born with the Deviants gene
- 1st cameo appearance of Eros (Starfox), brother of Thanos
- 1st appearance of Kronos, Grandfather of Thanos
- 1st appearance of Mentor, father of Thanos
- 1st appearance of Drax the Destroyer, created by Kronus to kill Thanos
- 1st appearance of the Blood Brothers
- 1st appearance of Loki, the Norse god of mischief
- 1st appearance of Balder, half-brother of Thor
- 1st appearance of Heimdall, guardian of Bifrost
- 1st appearance of Tyr, the Norse god of War
- 1st cameo appearance of Odin, the All-Father (seen from behind)
- 3rd appearance of Thor
- 1st full appearance of Venom.
- Classic and often swiped cover.
- This all-time classic with one of the greatest covers in comics hits the hat-trick with a third week at number one.
- Climbing to dizzier and dizzier heights is the most graded comic in CGC history.
- This week we saw several records in grade with a 9.4 almost hitting four digits at $985 (up from $850), a 9.2 at $900 (up from $795) and an 8.0 at $460 (up from $420).
- But the real story is the Newsstand edition. And oh man are we going to be talking about Newsstands a lot this week.
- Now, this is interesting because Newsstand edition prices got flipped-turned upside down and I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there and I'll tell you how the Hot 10 built the town called Newsstand fev-air!
- You guys read that with the Fresh Prince tune right? In all seriousness, gonna pat myself on the back because old @x was the one who started pointing out the Newstand trend of 2020 before it really took off.
- We've been getting emails lately thanking us for it (when really they should just be thanking me, I mean what do these other bozos at Key Collector know really?) and asking us what we think is next (really they mean me, @x, and could care less about the rest of the KCC team. I mean who needs the hundreds of other categories, key alerts, thousands of issues, insightful commentary and all for just $1.99 a month right?). Mark Jewelers. No joke. 9.8s are out there and the smart money is on the hunt. Mark (Jewelers) my words, it's gonna be a thing.
- Anyway, so the real story. Two 9.4 Newsstand editions sold this week for $1,345 and $1,425 (the all-time high in grade for a direct edition is $985).
- Which is surprising because up until recently the Copper Age Newsstand premium has been limited to just the 9.8 copies. Now we're seeing it expand beyond. We saw the same thing a few weeks ago with ASM #365 9.6 Newsstand.
- CGC 9.8 copies meanwhile continue to hover the $5k mark.
- When the Venom movie was released in 2018, this book went into orbit.
- It subsequently cooled and prices retreated but a new wave of demand spurred by Knull becoming one of the most popular characters introduced in recent years, an ever expanding Symbiote mythology in the books and the upcoming Venom movie sequel have sent it beyond 2018 prices.
- An all time classic cover, a massive 1st app, a superstar artist at the peak of his powers. ASM 300 has so many things going for it that it's always in demand but now it's also the top of the hottest books in comics.
- 1st appearance of Silver Surfer.
- 1st cameo appearance of Galactus.
- Rounding out the list this week at number 10 is another blue chip book with MCU anticipation fueling it.
- Like Giant Size X-Men #1 and Hulk #181, Collectors expect Marvel Studios to introduce the first family into their cinematic universe now that the rights (held by Fox) are under Disney control.
- Collectors are racing to pick up copies before major news is announced causing prices to soar.
- This week, a 9.6 White Page copy (I'm sensing a trend with these White Page books) sold in the Heritage Platinum Session Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction for a other wordly $21,000 obliterating the previous record of $18,000.
- Raws are selling consistently as well and are now at the $1k mark for mid grades.
- This is after a CGC 9.8 white pager set an all-time record two weeks ago of $42,500 at the ComicLink Summer Featured Auction and a copy of Fantastic Four 5 CGC 9.4 (1st Dr. Doom) hit $84k on Comic Connect the same week (up from $66k).
- Collectors are also moving to major blue chip keys after spending the first half of 2020 firmly focused on moderns.
- 1st appearance & origin of Captain America
- 1st appearance of James Buchanan Barnes aka Bucky (later becomes the Winter Soldier)
- 1st appearance of the Red Skull (George Maxon), an agent of the true Red Skull
- 1st appearance of Hurricane, (later becomes Makkari) and Tuk the Cave Boy (first offspring of the Inhumans)
- A CGC 2.0 copy sold at the Heritage Platinum Session Signature Auction (Sept 2020) for $90k.
- A 2.5 copy had previously sold in June of 2019 for $90k.
- The last 2.0 sale was in 2012 for $24k representing approx. a 275% increase.
- Captain America Comics #1 is one of the absolutely most sought after comics in history and is often designated the vaunted mega key status.
- Very few copies remain in existence. The CGC census has tracked approx. 90 copies ever given a universal grade with another 80 given the less desirable restored grade.
- While incredibly small these numbers are still larger than than those for the big 3 of collecting: Action Comics #1 (41 universal grade copies exist), Detective Comics #27 (32 universal grade copies exist) and Marvel Comics #1 (just 30 universal grade copies exist).
- 1st appearance and origin of the Juggernaut
- Origin of Professor X
- 1st cameo appearance of Cyttorak (statue), the demonic elder god whose Crimson Bands and ruby gemstone gave Juggernaut great powers
- 1st appearance and origin of Dr. Octopus
- Debut of the 'Spider's Web' fan letters section
- An editing error has Doctor Octopus mistakenly refer to Spider-Man as Super-Man
- The Dark Phoenix Saga Part 1
- 1st appearance of Kitty Pryde
- 1st appearance of Emma Frost, the White Queen
- 1st cameo team appearance of The Hellfire Club (in shadows)
- 1st appearance of Kraven the Hunter
- 2nd appearance of the Chameleon
- 1st mention of Mary Jane Watson, after Aunt May arranged a date for her and Peter
- July 2019 - a trusted source informs Key Collector Comics that a Kraven movie is confirmed (added to The Spec Deck)
- [May 2020 - a Deadline article reports Richard Wenk is attached to write the Kraven film
- August 2020 - Deadline reports director JC Chandor (Triple Frontier) is a strong contender to helm the Kraven film]
- 📈 +125% copies sold versus previous week due to an uptick in Spider-Man 3 discussion and an odd text from Jimmy Kimmel confirming he will be playing Kraven. Although this shouldn't be taken seriously, it is interesting that he joined the conversation about a character who isn't widely known outside of comic book fans
- 1st appearance of Nathaniel Richards as Kang the Conqueror, previously Rama-Tut and later Immortus
- Nathaniel is the father of Reed Richards, Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four.
- A new record-breaking sale hit the boards this week at $3,966 for a CGC 9.2 copy, overtaking the high in 2019 by $600 and eclipsing every other year's high sale since 2002 by $2k
- For the third week in a row, an all-time high CGC 7.0 sale has been shattered after a $1,325 sale blew past last week's $1,250 record. This time last year, the value for Avengers #8 in this grade was approximately $700
- Now mid-grade books in the 5.0 range are creeping their toes up to the $1,000 mark
- One could only imagine the potential of this book if recent rumors are soon announced to be true
- Last month, news broke that Jonathan Majors (Lovecraft Country) has been cast as the villain in Ant-Man 3.
- Rumors surfaced that he had signed a multi-picture deal and that he would be playing Kang.
- If Kang truly is headed for the MCU than it stands to reason the Fantastic Four will follow. Please keep in mind that rumors are just that
- 1st appearance of Enchantress
- [January 2020 - rumored to be a villain in the Loki Disney+ series]
- 1st appearance of Skurge the Executioner
- 1st appearance of the Bloodaxe
- 1st appearance of Omega Red, a Russian serial killer, captured and experimented on by the government
- *unconfirmed rumor that Omega Red will appear in The Falcon and Winter Soldier
- *origin of this rumor is unknown and nothing about the plot or casting hints at Omega Red but if he were to show up somewhere, the most plausible would be in Black Widow considering there is a prison scene in Russia
- [October 2020 - once again, Omega Red is being discussed. Supposedly an image popped up somewhere that confirmed the character in the MCU but we have not yet seen credible proof]